The Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS) is a premier African institution with the mission to promote peace and security in Ethiopia and Africa through education, research and professional development. The Institute produces skilled professionals in conflict prevention, management and resolution as well as in peace building, and promotes the values of a democratic and peaceful society.
A team of analysts at IPSS requires the support of qualified interns to produce:
i) Periodic country profiles
ii) Annual report on the State of Peace and Security in Africa.
The intern will support and assist in the field of research, data collection and analysis to feed into the production of the country profiles and the State of Peace and Security in Africa Report. The latter is annually prepared in advance of the Tana High-Level Forum on Security in Africa.
· Research on conflict prone countries in Africa.
· Data gathering on root causes and triggers of conflict in Africa.
· Analysis of fragility factors.
· Analysis of existing interventions.
· Engaging in any other activities related to the African Peace and Security Programme (APSP) as assigned by their respective supervisors.
Six months full-time, beginning in September 2016.
· MA in social sciences, preferably in peace and security studies, political science, global studies, development studies or any other related field of study.
· Excellent knowledge of the African development landscape in the field of peace and security.
· Excellent writing and research skills.
· Good knowledge of ICT tools for data collection.
· Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
· Previous experience and high academic performance are an added advantage.
· The internship is open to Ethiopian and other African nationals.
· Adaptability and flexibility to work on a wide range of tasks.
· Ability to manage various priorities.
· Ability to work under pressure.