- Conducts in depth research into legal issues referred to Legal Department for opinion on matters including contracts, insurance, international law, workers compensation claims and prima facie breaches of Company regulations. Following examination of the issues involved provides considered legal advice, including Company objectives and impact of actions.
- Prepares briefs and represents the Company as counsel before the Courts, legal Committees, labour offices, boards and other judicial bodies where the Company has initiated actions or in response to actions lodged against it. Includes preparation of written and oral submissions, investigation and cross examination of other party’s evidence and witnesses. In unsuccessful actions considers reasons for decision to determine probability of successful appeal action.
- Maintains an ongoing awareness of the relevant sections of Ethiopian and International Law in terms of their impact on the Company and its operations. Provides verbal and written interpretations to Company managers, explanation of commercial laws in respect of contracts and labour laws in terms of employment related issues. Maintains records of all applicable laws, maintains an awareness of reported decisions in the legal system and prepares reports to Management on legal matters as and when required.
- Manages the Company’s relationships with and use of external legal services. Includes maintaining a close relationship with the Company’s legal advisors, developing contacts in the wider Ethiopian legal fraternity and briefing advisors on Company actions and requirements in the legal arena. Assists in the development and implementation of Legal Services’ agreements.
- Advises both the Company’s Security Managers on legal requirements for investigation of breaches of Company laws and regulations including the collection of evidence, interviewing of employees and the keeping of written records. Directs and participates in major investigations following Executive Management approval.
- Assists in the management of Company’s contracts in all areas of commerce, providing advice on legal interpretations of contracts, following up with departments to respond to breaches of contract or in the face of legal action by contractors and assisting with legal comment and instructions on such matters.
- Carries out similar or related duties of a legal nature including assisting in negotiation of contracts, particularly in the development of standard terms and conditions; providing international legal interpretations to Company management; assisting in providing support on any document translations of a legal nature; and monitoring Company commercial activities to ensure legal compliance.
- Perform other related jobs assigned by superiors.
A minimum of LLB Degree.
Five years and above in similar position in large private organizations.