ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/SCOPE OF WORK: (Essential functions, quality/quantity expected list of marginal duties and number of national/and or expat staff supervised)
· Ensure quality service delivery in all components of preventive nutrition activities including IYCF, GMP, PDH and anemia prevention activities.
· Provide regularly technical support for the team under the preventive nutrition programe component.
· Facilitate any joint or IMC owned nutrition sector-specific assessments and make technical recommendations for appropriate activities to the preventive component of nutrition programme.
· Determine the cause of malnutrition in the emergency response and formulate appropriate responses that will address the cause.
· Support the deputy nutrition Manager in leading the nutrition team in the programe area for effective implementation of the activities for achievement of the project goal with clear JD and deliverables for each and every one of the team member.
· Ensure observance & respect the dignity of beneficiaries, careers and members of the community at all times.
· Provide direct hands-on technical support to IYCF,GMP, PDH, anemia prevention activity team including IMC partners to effectively and innovatively manage emergency nutrition projects with focus on key technical areas
· Ensure that emergency nutrition and related projects are technically sound, environmentally friendly, socially and cultural acceptable.
· Coordinate camp level nutrition response and recovery activities across a wide range of actors within International Medical Corps, donors, host governments, UN and NGO partners to ensure consistency of programming.
· Strong counseling skill and experience in BCC.
· Actively participate and represent IMC in Dollo-based nutrition Cluster meetings.
· Assist the Nutrition Program Manager in the development of the nutrition program strategies, with support from national nutrition team, for the specific disaster response
· Be fully aware of national policies, strategies and other initiatives and developments by government and other stakeholders in the area of nutrition both preventive and curative components community mobilization and IYCF.
· Design and propose relevant and cost effective GMP and IYCF approaches.
· Regularly assess the implications for IMC’s programme and priorities of any changes in the operating environment in this sector and report on these to the nutrition programme manager as required.
· Provide technical support to assist in the development of disaster risk reduction programs that mitigate the effects of disasters on populations and communities; identify disaster mitigation measures, where appropriate, that could be linked to disaster response activities
· Actively participate in surveys done at the Community level (KAP, SMART, Causal Analysis, Barriers, Coverage)
· Ensure development of core skills and competencies in Nutrition and Food Security among IMC staff in the project offices
· Integrate the screening and referral of malnourished children with IYCF problem at the community nutrition center level.
· Ensure quality referral and counseling management of severely malnourished children with difficulties of breast feeding.
· Ensure that the families of malnourished children receive appropriate counseling, education concerning the IYCF and caring practices.
· Will oversee the management of a wide pool of trained women community nutrition promoters and volunteers.
· Will collect weekly IYCF data (screening and counseling) and report weekly and monthly to ECD coordinator.
· Liaise activities with ARRA/UNHCR/UNICEF, and other Non-Government Organizations at Camp and site Level pertaining to IYCF, GMP, PDH and an anaemia prevention activities.
· Support and regular follow up of PD Hearth session during the real hearth and after graduation from and at home visit.
· Support the CNWs on how to implement the PDH and Provide health education, show complimentary feeding demonstration and home visits
· Strengthen mother to mother Care group at each block and provide technical support.
· Ensure PD behaviour sustainability during the follow up of care group model and home.
· Keep records of reports and vital events at each block and CNCs.
Qualification and experience required
· BSc /Diploma in Clinical Nurse/ psychology/ sociology
· 2-3 years’ work experience on Nutrition especially SBCC activities
· Preferably NGO experience in refuge setup
· Fluency in English, Amharic and preferably Somali
· Willingness to work in hardship area
· Team Player and ability to work with people of multicultural and diverse interests
· Flexible, have ability to cope with stressful situations and excellent communication skills