JOB TITLE: Capacity Building Specialist
LOCATIONS: Addis Ababa
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories. For the anticipated USAID project focusing on highly vulnerable children in Ethiopia, FHI 360 is seeking qualified candidate for the position of Capacity Building Specialist to be based in Addis Ababa.
FHI 360 is currently seeking a Capacity Building Specialist for an anticipated USAID project focusing on highly vulnerable children in Ethiopia. Based in Addis Ababa, the incumbent will be responsible for providing overall technical direction in capacity development and strengthening of partner institutions in implementing the project. The Specialist will play the lead role in guiding the implementation of technically sound and innovative approaches, in close collaboration with Government of Ethiopia stakeholders and CSOs, to strengthen the technical, management and financial capacity of implementers at all levels.
The Capacity Building Specialist will report to System Strengthening Director and will closely coordinate activities with technical team responsible for health, education, livelihood, child safety, nutrition, shelter and care and others.
· Conduct in-depth organizational assessments of implementing partners; review results in collaboration with partners and develop a detailed technical assistance plan to be implemented over the life of the project;
· Develop or revise appropriate guidelines, manuals and other tools to ensure capacity building strategies and activities are standardized;
· Design capacity building-related activities, approaches and tools targeted at strengthening the capacity of implementing partners, governments, civil society organizations and regional institutions;
· Ensure capacity building activities and overall methodology can be effectively cascaded down to frontline community workers, benefiting HVC and their caregivers;
· Maintain documentation of trainings, assessment/evaluation reports and performance appraisals for monitoring and evaluation purposes and quality improvement;
· Participate in monitoring, evaluating, and periodic reporting related to capacity building, based on a structured tool and guideline;
· Provide on-site technical assistance to local implementing partners including training, coaching, mentoring and other approaches in order to assist with strengthening organizational systems, processes and management;
· Document best practices on capacity building to be shared and scaled up;
· Closely work with inter-disciplinary teams to ensure capacity building activities are integrated and cross-cutting, and are not designed as a stand-alone practice.
· Support the team in jointly conducting supportive supervisions, mentoring and other follow up activities.
· Foster technical capacity building of staff through technical updates, training opportunities, exchange visits, literature sharing, etc.;
· Masters (MSc) in Public Health, organizational development, Business Administration or other relevant sub-specialty.
· Minimum of seven years (7) of experience in capacity building preferably in social work and child welfare programming.
· Demonstrated significant expertise applying diverse capacity building approaches, tools and international and national best practices.
· Demonstrated capacity and experience in developing capacity building programs, both technical, financial and management, focusing on various stakeholder groups including government, CSOs and community groups.
· Experience in performance measurement as well as measuring capacity building outcomes and impact, utilizing scientific approaches.
· Experience in conducting training of trainers as well as supportive supervision, mentoring and guidance in a manner that integrates all intervention activities.
· Excellent inter-personal, communications and facilitation skills
· Field experience in the prevention of HIV/AIDS with a focus on highly vulnerable children and their families.
· A strong understanding of child welfare programming and related policies and frameworks
· Experience with representation at national, regional or global nutrition networks
· Experience in broader health programming; including HIV AIDS and nutrition