CALL FOR APPLICANTS FOR THE ECDD ACADEMY
A Program to Train Young Professionals with Disabilities for ECDD
The Ethiopian Center for Disability and Development (ECDD), established in 2005, is an Ethiopian Residents Charity that works collaboratively with other organizations to promote and facilitate “disability inclusive development” in Ethiopia – the inclusion of disability issues and persons with disabilities in mainstream service delivery and development programs. ECDD has 60 Association members, a 7-member Board of Directors, and 40 staff members, the majority being persons with disabilities.
Every organization relies upon competent and dedicated individuals in order carry out its mission and meet the expectations of stakeholders and donor partners. ECDD is no different. However, ECDD has an organizational commitment to disability inclusion and gender balance in its hiring and program activities. The employment of qualified young persons with disabilities and women is proving increasingly difficult as the organization grows, and more trained and experienced personnel are required to manage ECDD projects and implement project activities.
Experience has shown that there are very few persons with disabilities who already have project management experience or have been exposed to the concept of disability inclusive development. Moreover, most bright, young university graduates with disabilities have inadequate knowledge of English at the level required to manage ECDD projects. Repeated efforts to recruit required personnel have failed to identify persons with disabilities with the required skills and experience.
In order to tackle this challenge and increase the number of young persons with disabilities and women of the right “caliber” for future ECDD employment, ECDD has decided to train them itself, and has created “The ECDD Academy”. The ECDD Academy will enroll as “Intern Trainees” an initial 6 young graduates with disabilities (3 men, 3 women) on a competitive basis from among University graduates with disabilities for an initial 6-month period. The Academy will provide:
· a month-long basic orientation to ECDD and inclusive development;
· 1-month attachments to ECDD Project Coordinators as an “Understudy”, in order to learn about the objectives and activities of the ECDD projects;
· specific training courses on selected topics related to the 4 ECDD priority development areas of inclusive health services, inclusive education, inclusive livelihoods and inclusive community development;
· a training course on project cycle management;
· an English language improvement class;
· a monthly training stipend to cover local transportation and living expenses.
At the end of the initial 6-month period the Intern Trainees undergo a personal assessment by the ECDD Senior Management Team, including a written and oral examination. Only the best Intern Trainees qualify to continue in the Academy program. Those Intern Trainees selected to continue will be given a 3-month renewable contract by ECDD to work as a Project Assistant and assigned to work under a Project Coordinator, according to his/her specific professional interests.
1. Have a physical, visual or hearing disability
2. Education –BA degree in a social science or related field
3. Experience –participation in an association of students with disabilities during their university studies
4. Interest in exploring disability inclusive development as a career
5. Commitment to actively participate in and complete the training program;
6. Good interpersonal relationships and team work
7. Good communication skills
8. Competence in the use of computer applications
9. Good comprehension and use of both English and Amharic