Being an employee of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Ethiopia the Shelter Project Officer is expected to represent NRC in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with NRC’s Code of Conduct.
Role & Responsibilities:
The purpose of the Shelter officer position is to lead and supervise school and other infrastructure constructions. Support on assessment and undertaking of new shelter constructions and maintenance works.
· Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action;
· Prepare and develop status reports as required by management;
· Ensure proper filing of documents;
· Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function;
· Coordinate with camp level partners and refugee representatives during work execution in camps/Kebeles;
· Ensure standard of constructions are maintained as per SPHER standard.
· Providing technical support for planning on shelter constructions and maintenance;
· Prepare and verify BOQ and designs for new project proposals are submitted on time;
· Check that Payments for executed construction works are prepared and paid accordingly;
· Coordinate with Shelter team for final quality work checking and approval;
· Ensure close follow up and supervision of out sourced constructions;
· Ensure quality construction materials are delivered as per the specification given during purchase requisition;
· Follow up and check quality of undergoing constructions are maintained;
· Coordinate with Education team to ensure on time delivery of constructions and fulfil requirements of school standards;
· Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly, annual and other reports as necessary;
· Ensure effective and efficient budget utilization of shelter and construction activities;
· Represent NRC in shelter task force meetings with ARRA, UNHCR and other partners.
Relevant interfaces for this position are:
· Participate on assessments related to infrastructures
· Providing Technical advice to other NRC projects
Generic professional competencies:
· BSc Degree/Diploma certificate in construction (Civil Engineering)
· Three years/ 5 years practical experience in construction supervision and follow up
· Experience from working as a Shelter Project officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
· Experience in implementation of construction activities in refugee / IDP areas
· Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
· Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
· Good knowledge of English
· Handling insecure environment
· Planning and delivering results
· Empowering and building trust
· Communicating with impact and respect
How to Apply
All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria are invited to send in their application letters including updated curriculum vitae with day-time telephone number and contact details of three work-related referees only through www.ethiojobs.net if it is possible attach photocopies of the most relevant educational certificates/testimonials). Applications should reach to the mentioned address latest by 20th January, 2017 at 5:00 pm.
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
“Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply!”
Let Employers Find YouUpload/Update Your CV