Being an employee of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Ethiopia the Food Security and Livelihoods Project Officer is expected to represent NRC in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with NRC’s Code of Conduct.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent, humanitarian, non-profit and non-governmental organization which provides assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide. NRC is working in Ethiopia in partnership with Ethiopian Government counterpart, the Administration for Refugees and Returnees Affairs (ARRA) and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in providing humanitarian assistance, Education, Shelter, Food Security & Livelihood, Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Child Protection for refugees as well as host community around refugee camps in Shire (Tigray), Dolo Ado, Assosa, Gambella and Jigjiga.
NRC Food Security and Livelihoods strategies aim at developing self-reliance livelihoods interventions which was designed and implemented to strengthen refugee women’s and men’s productive capacities to achieve food and income security through a variety of economic activities longer-term self-sufficiency.
Line Managed by the Food Security and Livelihoods Project Coordinator, the Food Security and Livelihoods Project Officer will take part so as to achieve NRC objectives on Urban Refugee Program and hosting communities through a variety of Food Security and Livelihoods activities in Shire, Axum, Adwa, Adi-Grat, Mekelle and others in Tigray Region.
Role & Responsibilities:
The Food Security and Livelihoods Project Officer is responsible for coordination of the Food Security and Livelihoods activities in Shire, Axum, Adwa, Adi-Grat, Mekelle and others in Tigray Region.
· Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines;
· Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to plan of action;
· Prepare and develop status reports as required by management;
· Ensure proper filing of documents;
· Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist;
· Promote and share ideas for technical improvement;
· Coordinate the Food Security activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans;
· Ensure adherence to NRC policies and donor requirements;
· Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities;
· Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans;
· Coordinate with relevant partners;
· Ensure that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures;
· Train and develop team;
· Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents as required;
· Investigate and facilitate introduction of new technology, methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities;
· Responsible for all Urban Food Security and Livelihoods program interventions of NRC in Tigray region;
· Provide technical advice, backstopping and training on income generating activities, and other livelihoods related fields;
· Ensure that NRC’s objectives are disseminated and raise awareness of NRCs approach ensuring all implementation follows NRC policies and procedures;
· Facilitate communities, community based organizations and community leaders in identifying Urban refugee target groups for NRC Food Security and Livelihoods activities;
· Help empower Urban refugee and local communities to enable them to manage their issues by themselves and be able to sustain Food Security and Livelihoods Projects;
· Ensure equal participation by all segments of the refugee and local communities, taking into consideration issues regarding gender, age, disability and clan affiliation;
· Regularly monitor and evaluate Food Security and Livelihoods Projects performance and provide timely inputs, feedback and impact of the NRC Food Security and Livelihoods interventions;
· Play an important role in realization of project outputs and outcomes through timely implementation of activities in a well-planned, organized and coordinated manner;
· Ensure NRC YEP graduates (Refugee & Local) who trained in refugee camps and later transfer to urban are self-employed in different IGA activities including provision of start-up kits, soft loan, market linkage, employment creation opportunities;
· In consultation and under direct supervision of Food Security and Livelihoods Project Coordinator develop and implement surveys and needs assessment in Shire, Axum, Adwa, Adi-Grat, Mekelle, refugee camps and others in Tigray Region.
· In consultation and under direct supervision of Food Security and Livelihoods Project Coordinator, responsible for inputs contribution for preparing and implementing of annual and quarterly work plans;
· Organize and implement training for refugee and hosting communities as per identified needs in urban areas;;
· Report Food Security and Livelihoods projects monitoring details back to Food Security and Livelihoods Project Coordinator;
· Regular monthly, quarterly and annual reporting to as per agreed format to Food Security and Livelihoods Project Coordinator.
Representation and Coordination
· Engaging in coordination processes amongst key stakeholders like ARRA, UNHCR, local authorities and other livelihoods practitioners operational in Tigray Region ensure that NRC maintains excellent and productive relations with all key stakeholders;
· Representing NRC at relevant forums/ meetings with respect to Food Security and Livelihoods projects.
· Raising and approving of PR’s through “AGRESSO”.
· Overall responsible for ensuring Financial Accountability of Food Security and Livelihoods projects those tasks includes:-
o Playing an active role in managing the Food Security and Livelihoods projects financial management, documentation, payments to labors, goods and services as per NRC Financial Rule
o Ensuring that all financial systems are followed and that financial reports submitted to NRC Field Office Shire Finance team are accurate.
· Collate bi-weekly, monthly and quarterly reports raw-data from Refugee Incentive Workers and send the reports to the Food Security and Livelihoods Project Coordinator;
· Generic and un-timely report updates as requested by Food Security and Livelihoods Project Coordinator to compile upon request of Area Manager and NRC Food Security Specialist as well.
Generic professional competencies:
· Minimum of 4 years relevant experience
· INGO experience in refugee camp settings is advantageous