GIZ- Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #05/2016
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes.
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on the commission of the Ethiopian government and international donors.
Ethiopia is one of the Sub-Saharan African countries most seriously affected by environmental problems such as land degradation. In order to reduce these impacts, the Government of Ethiopia (GoE), in collaboration with its development partners, has been implementing the Sustainable Land Management Programme (SLMP) since 2008. Deutsche Gesellschaft für internationale Zusam-menarbeit (GIZ) is currently supporting the Ethiopian Government’s efforts with the Sustainable Land Management Programme (GIZ-SLMP) operating in the country’s highland regions and with the Strengthening Drought Resilience Programme (SDR) which focuses on pastoralist lowland areas. In early 2016, the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and the European Union (EU) agreed to launch a new support programme to SLMP under the title “Support to the Sustainable Land Management Programme in Ethiopia” (EU Support to SLMP). The action is fully harmonised with the Government of Ethiopia’s SLMP results framework and builds on the ongoing SLMP and the aforementioned GIZ programmes. Against this background, GIZ is seeking to recruit an Eco-Regional Coordinator responsible for Bale region and matching the following profile.
Position: Bale Eco-Regional Project Coordinator
Remuneration: As per the GIZ scale
Application deadline: February 20, 2017
Place of Work: Robe, with frequent travels to Addis Ababa
· Coordinate the EU Support to SLMP activities in the Bale eco-regional project area;
· Coordinate project activities in the Bale eco-regional project area with the EU Support to SLMP Project Manager based in Addis Ababa, GIZ-SLMP, GIZ-SDR, FZS, KfW, as well as relevant governmental institutions and other stakeholders in order to assure a smooth project implementation in the five selected woredas;
· Represent EU Support to SLMP at regional level platforms and committees;
· Ensure the development of an integrated watershed approach combining proven technologies from both highlands and lowlands and livelihood options for highland and lowland population with small-scale and pastoral farming economies taking into account conservation issues for Bale Mountain National Park.
· Supervise and coordinate Bale eco-regional project activities to achieve project outputs as defined in the EU Support to SLMP implementation agreement;
· Coordinate and facilitate the integration of highland and lowland natural resource management (NRM) measures in the area of watershed management in the five selected woredas with GIZ-SLMP, GIZ-SDR, FZS, KfW, as well as regional partners taking also into consideration the requests of biodiversity conservation;
· Ensure smooth cooperation and good collaboration with the FZS coordinator who will be responsible for activities in the area of Community Based Organisation (CBO) development and the integration of Income Generating Activities (IGA) in the rehabilitated areas;
· Plan and schedule implementation of all technical cooperation activities in accordance with relevant project documents and in conjunction with all stakeholders;
· Coordinate and follow-up progress and issues in project implementation;
· Ensure timely submission of quarterly financial and technical reports and other reports as may be required;
· Facilitate and support the proper implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities according to the SLMP joint results framework and EU Support to SLMP;
· Excellent knowledge of sustainable land management approaches and measures in highland and lowland areas;
· Excellent knowledge of livelihood diversification approaches for pastoral and agro-pastoral communities;
· Very good knowledge of project implementation and management issues;
· Ability to lead a multi-stakeholder team;
· Excellent communication skills in a multi-stakeholder environment;
· Excellent English language skills, both written and oral;
· Excellent computer skills, especially Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook);
B. Qualifications and Experience:
· University degree in agriculture, NRM or related fields;
· Minimum of 5 years professional experience in NRM and livelihoods diversification activities;
· Proven project management experience;
· Proven experience and ability to manage individuals and groups;
· Good analytical and social skills, as well capacities for strategic thinking, planning and management;
· Good technical knowledge in the fields related to SLM, Pastoralist systems, participatory approaches, environmental economics and biodiversity conservation issues.
Let Employers Find YouUpload/Update Your CV