Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
1. Financial management:
· As a member of the country management team, take a lead role on financial planning, budgeting, reporting and maintenance of financial system;
· Ensure robust internal financial procedures, systems, policies and controls are established, applied and complied with throughout the country programme by all staff;
· Regularly review and update the overall financial policy, procedures and processes to ensure that the systems are fit for purpose and in line with the Brooke minimum financial standards;
· Document and improve financial processes, where appropriate, to ensure effective use of resources and best practice;
· Ensure all payments are properly authorised in accordance with authorisation levels and the branch scheme of delegation;
· Lead and or advise (as appropriate) in the recruitment, management and development of financial, operations and administrative staff working in the programme and develop financial management capacity throughout the programme;
· Monitor and control the balance sheet accounts and manage the month-end procedures;
· Manage timely, accurate and systematic payroll and income tax payments for all national staff;
· Ensure compliance with the financial and other requirements of the Brooke
· Be responsible for the timely submission of financial reports, ensuring that appropriate approval processes in Addis, Oromia and SNNPR have been followed;
· Produce/review and share monthly 30:70 monitoring report to the Country Representative and the senior managers tracking expenditure against the budget submitted to ChSA for the calendar year.
2. Financial Planning & Budget Monitoring:
· Prepare and review budgets, amendments and forecasts in conjunction with the Country Representative and others;
· Co-ordinate the annual financial planning and budgeting process including the provision of guidance and support to budget holders on preparing their budget submissions; ensuring that these are received on schedule; scrutinising submissions and resolving any anomalies with budget holders; and preparing draft consolidated budgets for and in collaboration with the Country Representative;
· Manage all aspects of management reporting within the organisation and provide information, guidance and regular management reports to enable budget holders to monitor and manage their budgets effectively;
· Prepare and present regular reports for the Senior Management Team on how expenditure is progressing against plan, with advice and recommendations as required;
· Calculate and supervise the monthly cost of each vehicle (fuel consumption, repairs etc.); and communication costs (phone, e-mail, internet etc.).
· Ensure funds are always available for the Brooke Ethiopia and partner activities by maintaining a system of cash flow forecasting and requesting transfers from the Brooke UK in a timely manner;
· Ensure that all financial transactions are accurate and recorded in the appropriate accounting system and providing training and support to the staff who use them;
· Ensure that payments are made in a timely and secure manner across all country operations, including payroll, provident fund contributions, tax payments, payments to other creditors and to partners,
· Ensure that cash is secure, in line with insurance levels and that excessive levels of cash are not held by the Brooke or partner organisations.
4. Partnership support and financial assessment:
· Be responsible for assessing the financial management capacity of potential local partners and provide guidance and support as required;
· Review finance systems of local partners and provide financial advice if required to ensure that existing partner organisations have effective finance and administrative systems enabling them to meet Brooke financial and reporting requirements. This will include assessing the financial capacity of existing or prospective systems and providing support and training if required for minimum standards to be met;
· Support the programme and finance team in monitoring existing partners and projects by analysing partners’ financial reports, monitoring expenditure against approved budgets, making support visits to partner offices, highlighting any potential or existing issues and making recommendations for action;
· Assist partners’ budget holders in development of their budgets, ensuring the Brooke budgeting formats and conditions are complied with.
· Review all partner budgets for consolidation into the Ethiopia plans and budget for approval as laid out in the branch delegation of authority;
· Analyse training gaps and organise for appropriate capacity building training on various aspects of financial control and management;
· Visit and monitor partners to ensure that all the necessary financial and administrative procedures are carried out in line with the Brooke’s minimum financial standards and controls, grant agreements and local legislation.
5. Human Resources:
· Support the Country Representative and senior managers in ensuring that the Brooke recruits and retains the best possible staff at all levels; that staff are motivated and effective in their work; that job descriptions reflect clearly roles and responsibilities; and that staff develop professionally to meet the organisation’s changing needs;
· Oversee the HR function within the national to ensure sound in-country HR policies and procedures, which comply with the Brooke HR policy and HR minimum standards, local labour laws and good practice; and which promote the Brooke’s organisational values;
· Ensure that all staff are appraised annually and that systems are in place for reminding and guiding managers and staff;
· Be proactive in identifying staff relations issues and support managers to deal with performance, conduct or other difficult issues as required;
· Supervise the Admin Officer and HR and Admin Co-Ordinator ensuring they meet the administrative needs of staff including flight bookings, obtaining legal documentation, annual leave, sick leave and TOIL;
· Ensure confidential, accurate maintenance and safe storage of all staff HR records (e.g. contracts, job descriptions leave records, pay history etc.).
6. Operations & Administrative Management:
· Ensure proper management of office assets, including maintenance of inventory, physical verification of assets and disposal of assets;
· Oversee the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems;
· Ensure that regular back-ups of all computers and financial data are carried out and that the confidentiality of the data/information is maintained;
· Ensure that the Brooke Ethiopia holds appropriate insurance policies at all times;
· Supervise and/or prepare travel authorisations, ensuring appropriate justification, costing and approvals are in place;
· Maintain a central filing system; ensuring consistent use and appropriate archiving of official administrative, finance, and human resource documents;
· Represent the Brooke at meetings on administrative issues such as national salary scales, common services, premises etc.
7. Legal Compliance:
· Ensure that all legal requirements of The Brooke Ethiopia are met including, for example, the legal registration of The Brooke Ethiopia; all required reporting to government agencies; and compliance with the Charities and Societies Proclamation, the Labour law, the Tax laws, and all other relevant legal frameworks.
8. Reporting and audit:
· Prepare the annual statutory accounts ensuring they meet all statutory and accounting requirements, manage relationships with external auditors and ensure the audit and statutory accounts are completed in an efficient and timely manner;
· Submit the audited accounts and accompanying reports to the CHSA within specified deadlines;
· Arrange and facilitate internal financial controls audits as required by the Brooke UK and ensure that recommendations are actioned and implemented in a timely manner;
· Review and present finance reports for the Country Representative to approve and send to The Brooke UK as required on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis;
· Review and share regular financial management reports to enable the Country Representative, the Senior Management Team and budget holders to plan and control the finances of the Brooke Ethiopia effectively.
9. Risk Management:
· Maintain the Brooke Ethiopia risk register ensuring it is reviewed annually by the SMT, updated and posted on appropriate form as required; and communicated to relevant people and work units;
· Ensure a thorough analysis and understanding of financial risks and institute appropriate mitigation measures and control mechanisms.
10. Management and Leadership:
· Provide leadership, direction, support and guidance for the whole finance and operations support team, including support to the field Finance and admin assistants;
· Directly manage the Finance Coordinator and the HR and Admin coordinator;
· Ensure that all the field programmes (projects) are properly and effectively managed and supported;
· Control your own budget, making sure that the Brooke’s funds are spent efficiently, appropriately and in line with organisational finance procedures and budgets.
· As a key part of the Senior Management Team (SMT), actively engage in the strategic leadership and decisions of the country programme;
· Facilitates smooth and efficient communication and working relationship between project offices, partners and Addis office, and where appropriate, The Brooke UK.
11. Coordination and communications:
· Perform such additional tasks as may reasonably be required by the Country Representative;
· In undertaking the role, comply with all Brooke global and country policies and procedures;
· The role requires regular in-country travel, sometimes at short notice;
· This list of tasks may not be exhaustive and will be reviewed from time to time.
Let Employers Find YouUpload/Update Your CV