For over 30 years the Life & Peace Institute has worked in the Horn of Africa to strengthen the voice of people affected by conflict and support solutions from the bottom up. In 2014, LPI signed a host agreement with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ethiopia to open its regional office to engage in continental and sub-regional policy affairs and to effectively facilitate and oversee its projects in the Horn of Africa Region from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
In 2017-2020, the Horn of Africa Regional Programme (HARP) of the Life & Peace Institute will advocate for human-centred, participatory and evidence-based regional responses potent enough to “disrupt” the perpetual cycle of states’ responses to the region’s human security challenges. Through HARP in 2017-2020, LPI will contribute to improved policies and actions on strategic regional issues affecting human that will lead to a reality where all people in the Horn lead lives of peace and dignity, where human security needs are met, as a result of inclusive and transformative policy engagement.
This is a Web Editor/Communications Officer’s position whose tasks broadly comprise of web editing, communications and related activities. The assignment is based in Addis Ababa at the LPI’s Horn of Africa Regional Programme (HARP). The position is under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager for HARP, but receives technical guidance and support from the Programme Advisor-Communications & Policy in Uppsala.
Relations within the organization
Your primary tasks and responsibilities
As the web editor are to:
1. lead in the overall communications goal to increase traffic to LPI’s resources via the website and social media, in order to showcase quality content, and make the user experience and interaction an excellent visitors/potential stakeholders.
2. Publish content to the website’s content management system, currently WordPress.
3. Manage LPI websites, blogs, polls, news, events calendar, multimedia, e-newsletters, and any future special projects, e.g. surveys or microsites.
4. Manage LPI’s social media presence (e.g. on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and LinkedIn).
5. Keep track of and share analyses and best practices for websites in terms of search engine optimization (SEO) and user experience, and content marketing. .
6. Work closely with a range of individuals, from web designers/developers and project/account managers to photographers and marketing professionals.
7. Assist with the definition of LPI site's target audiences and lead in the outreach to those groups and their requirements.
8. Provide technical assistance in regards to launching, marketing and dissemination of LPI communications material.
9. Monitor adherence to LPI’s brand for all external communications in close collaboration with the Programme Advisor-Communications & Policy in Uppsala
10. Assist in the documentation and impact measuring of LPI’s outreach.
As a Communications Officer are to:
1. Produce quality content to promote the work of the HARP with creative writing skills.
2. Support the design, delivery and editing of strategic communications documentation and films.
3. Design quality graphics.
4. Develop and maintain HARP’s image database in collaboration with the cross-office LPI Communications team.
5. Co-ordinate content generation for HARP’s section of the website in collaboration with the research and programmes teams.
6. Assist with formatting and publishing of HARP communications material, including the periodic Horn of Africa Bulletin (HAB).
Other Duties and Responsibilities
The officer may be required to perform duties that are beyond the scope of the job description in mutual discussion and agreement with the supervisor.
· ability to source images and artwork , and commissioning photographers
· skills to research and ensure information is accurate
· finesse to respond to enquiries from the public and oversee any message boards
· skill to alter style of writing to speak to various audiences
· efficiency to multitask and prioritise work schedules
· skilfulness to simplify and explain complex issues and procedures
· ability to work on your own or in a team
· thoroughness and precision in work with a good attention to detail
· interest to take initiatives
· proficiency in copyright laws
· Commitment to LPI values, principles and priorities.
· Knowledge of and proficient in use of computer applications related to web editing and graphic design
At least 2 years of professional work experience in designing and executing communication activities