The Purpose of the Position
is position will lead on sector analysis, developing the content of the country strategy, and defining the sector strengthening agenda for the CPS period. He/she will ensure the design and intent of the field level programming is aligned to deliver the sector strengthening agenda of the CPS and provide oversight and support towards the effective implementation of the sector strengthening/capacity building at district and national level. This position will spear head WAE’s sector strengthening agenda by ensuring the shape and content of all programs at the field level are designed to generate evidence and excellence that can be utilized at regional and national level to accelerate universal access in Ethiopia.He/she is responsible for generating consistent critical analysis on the national, regional and woreda level political economy which will inform and shape WAE’s partnership with government as well as investments. He/she will represent WAE at different meetings and forums, nationally/internationally as assigned by line management. The incumbent will work towards increasing the profile of WAE to positively contribute to accelerating universal access in Ethiopia via shaping sector systems and practice The incumbent will ensure that WAE’s WASH service delivery follows the core value of equity and inclusion through mainstreaming equity and inclusion in the projects implemented with government.
Head of Sector Capacity Building/Systems Strengthening is responsible to carry out the following jobs
Analytical Leadership and communication-
· Lead the development of a clear strategy for delivering the sector capacity strengthening objectives of WAE.
· He/she will clearly articulate the purpose and influencing intent of the programming work through supporting the design and approach to program work, leading research pieces that can add value to sector knowledge and developing compelling messages for influencing sector actors.
· He/she will proactively engage in sector discussions, build and maintain relationships with key sector ministries, institutions and other strategic partners who are critical to realizing WAE strategic priorities.
· Ensure that all staff have clear knowledge and understanding of WAE’s strategic intent and purpose in the sector.
· He/she will be responsible for following up on trends in sector processes, strategies and practice and advice the senior management on possible actions in terms of delivering organizational messaging at key foras.
· Responsible for generating analytical briefs, communication materials and case stories of evidence and excellence generated from programming at field in line with the CP and global priorities.
. Ensure the right level of quality control on any outsourced research pieces with a clear plan for utilization to advance the CPs strategic priorities. .
Technical support and oversight
· The incumbent will be expected work effectively within a matrix organizational structure with staff under in the technical service unit as well as finance to ensure that all the programme activities are in line with WAE’s influencing objectives as per the CPS.
· Ensure that WAE WASH Programme delivery at the field level is designed to positively impact the building of better WASH systems and generate replicable results that can be profiled to contribute to universal access for Ethiopia.
Networking and partnerships:
· The incumbent will be responsible for building partnerships with government institutions, donors, universities, private sector and research institutions so as to advance WAE’s strategic objectives.
· He/she will build networks of supporters by sharing WAE’s key messages.
· He/she will represent WAE in key sector events nationally or globally (when assigned).
· The incumbent will work closely with the Director of Technical Services and Grant and Fundraising Manager to develop concept notes for mobilizing sufficient resources for CPS strategic priorities.
· He/she will collect case stories and share with the fund raising team for mobilizing resources locally or globally from funding agencies.
Monitoring and Reporting:
· The incumbent will monitor implementation of sector capacity building/system strengthening programme and prepare key reports on the basis of organizational policies and procedures including monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual reports.
· He/she will contribute to the preparation of other organizational reports, biannual and annual reports.
Education: have a master degree in social science and related field
Experience – have at least 10 years of experience in the WASH sector, especially related to the current government context
· Have excellent facilitation, communication and networking skills
· Proven experience in undertaking activities aimed at capacity building initiative to government structure
· Proven experience in in influencing and advocacy initiative
· Demonstrated organizational skills and a strong track record in meeting deliverables and donor deadlines
· Strong English communication skills, both interpersonal and written
· Strong management skills – planning and organization, problem solving and decision making
· Ability to work independently