Save the Children is an exciting and dynamic organization that follows a holistic approach to achieve more for children and use its resources in an efficient and sustainable way. In every programming we aim to achieve results at scale, build partnership to influence others and increase our impact; look for innovate solutions to the problems children faces, campaign for better practice and ensure that Children’s voices are heard.
Save the Children is an organization for talented people with different backgrounds and perspectives. We are proud that our people are representative of the children we work with and we thrive on our diversity. We are an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. Our culture is embedded in these values, along with a strong commitment to our Child Safeguarding Protocol, ensuring that all representatives of Save the Children demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children both in their private and professional lives.
Save the Children offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development. If you are interested to work in an organization that is determined to achieve dramatic change for the most vulnerable children, we encourage you to look through the job profile below.
Deputy Project Director
Place of Work
Monthly Salary in ETB
As per the organization scale
No. of Positions
Length of Contract
One year with possibility of extension
The Deputy Project Director - Improving Nutritional Status of Pregnant and Lactating Women and Children in Rural Ethiopia (INSPIRE); as a member of the INSPIRE project Senior Management Team, shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the project. Specifically, the Deputy Project Director will oversee all operational aspects of the project, including establishing, maintaining and enhancing systems and processes to deliver a high quality project, meeting Save the Children and donor requirements. The incumbent will be responsible for partner management and will deputize for the Project Director during periods of absence. This position reports to the Project Director. The Deputy Project Director will be based in Addis Ababa with regular travel to the Amhara and Afar Regions where the project is implemented.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Responsible for overall coordination of project operations across the consortium, with particular attention to Livelihood and WASH.
Oversight and Management of Programme Delivery
· Support the project director on overall management and implementation of the programme.
· Lead the oversight and implementation of livelihood and WASH activities and ensuring technically sound decision-making processes.
· Work with PD to provide oversight of programme activities, team building and the creation of external partnerships.
· Collaborates with the Project Director, in the preparation of budgets, work plans, monthly reports and operational implementation plans
· Work with colleagues to ensure that lessons learnt about successes and failures are measured and recorded, that evidence-based analysis leads to improved quality in advocacy, innovation, programme development and implementation, contributing to Save the Children’s learning on integrated programme delivery.
· In collaboration with PD and other senior management, nurtures strong relationships with Save the Children’s partners in country, national and regional level government and donors, as well as other key stakeholders in the country of operation
Financial management and Donor Compliance
· Supports the PD to develop and maintain efficient and effective operating systems, and ensure compliance with Save the Children’s Quality Framework and Minimum Operating Standards, including safety & security management
· Ensure that appropriate systems are in place for field level and Addis level budget monitoring in collaboration with the INSPIRE Finance & Awards Manager
· Support the Project Director in budget monitoring, including tracking of expenditure, reviewing of payment requests and participation at monthly finance meetings
· Oversee the development and revision of budgets and timely submission of revisions to the donor in collaboration with the Project Director and DFATD Canada
· Act as budget holder during periods of absence of the Project Director.
· In collaboration with the finance and operation manager, oversee the progress of all components of the project with respect to donor milestones, with a focus on keeping activities on track for completion.
· Ensure INSPIRE staff and partners understand, follow and adhere to all Save the Children policies and procedures and donor regulations.
· In collaboration with the MEAL Specialist, ensure that donor reports (financial and narrative) are of high quality and accuracy, meeting SCI and donor requirements, before final approval from the Project Director
Staff Management and Development
· Supervises the livelihood Specialist and WASH Specialist and ensure progress is continuously monitored against baseline and targets.
· Manage direct reports; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly.
· Supports the PD on the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and incorporate staff development strategies into team building process.
· Manage the performance of his/her supervisees through:
o Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, on-going feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations;
o Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
o Effective and timely management of poor performance
o Documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements / work plans
· Work with the PD and relevant country office and Field Operations Managers to ensure effective performance management of matrix managed staff.
· Work closely with the Project Director, Senior Program Manager and the Programme Operations Director to identify staff development needs from an operational perspective and source such support where possible within Save the Children Ethiopia Country Office.
· Ensure that new staff receive adequate induction on operational processes and procedures
· Ensure partner contracts and sub grant agreements are in place and that updates are agreed and put in place in line with contractual changes to the project, in a timely manner.
· Help establish, maintain and improve active and regular working relationships with all Consortium partners and host government authorities. Ensure partner engagement in relevant issues through consultation and partner participation
· Lead regular reviews of partner operational capacity in collaboration with other Save the Children departments including Awards, Finance, Logistics, Admin and HR and ensure the availability of adequate support and coaching to enhance their capacity to deliver INSPIRE in line with Save the Children and donor regulations
· Provide guidance and advice to consortium members on all aspects of project operations and share learning across the consortium from relevant best practice and assessing performance regularly against agreed programme objectives and indicators.
· Develop a communications strategy for the project and ensure the sharing of information with both external and internal stakeholders
Representation and Networking
· Represents and liaise with donor, government, or partners in the absence of the PD.
· Represents the programme in national or partner TWGs related to livelihoods and WASH.
· Provide high level technical support to CO and field staffs as required.
· Provide technical assistance and support to FMOH and RHBs in consultation with PD in the fields of project implementation.
· Work closely with other nutrition projects with Save the Children and streamline the project’s effort with organizational priority
· Support on going staff development in the areas of expertise through periodic needs assessment and knowledge sharing, as well as organization of workshops, training sessions and identification of relevant online training courses based on findings of needs assessment.
· Deputise the PD as required.
· Work with Amhara and Afar team, particularly the POD-North and FOM to ensure synergy across programmes, and to ensure effective and efficient use of resources.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
· A minimum of master degree in development, project management, food security or related discipline
· A minimum of 10 years of experience in programs development and management, with at least four of them in international NGOs and focused on food security, nutrition, WASH, or agriculture with progressive management.
· Experience in managing donor projects of USAID, DFATD, DFID, etc.
· Advanced understanding multi-sectoral approach of nutrition, the NNP and NNS.
· Experience of working for projects in Afar or Amhara will be a plus.
· Strong understanding of the health sector development program, the health system and policy processes, the donor environment and significant players in the nutrition field in Ethiopia.
· Experience managing development or emergency projects, including research.
· Experience in developing donor relationships, working with/guiding national level technical working groups, working with government partners, with partner agencies, including local partners, and in consortia
· Strong analytical and writing skills with demonstrated ability to write briefing papers (ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner) and targeted advocacy messages.
· Good skill in communicating, organizing group discussion, and presentation
· Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to motivate staff; including influencing, negotiation and coaching skills.
· Proven ability to manage a team, with good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to motivate staff.
· An understanding of child rights programming and commitment to Save the Children values
· Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
· Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind sets.
· Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
· Excellent spoken and written English
Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word and database)
Let Employers Find YouUpload/Update Your CV