John Snow, Inc. /Strengthening Ethiopia’s Urban Health Program (SEUHP)
Immediate vacancy announcement
Terms of reference - Event Coordinator
The Strengthening Ethiopia’s Urban Health Program (SEUHP) is supported by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to improve the health status of the urban population in Ethiopia by reducing HIV/Tuberculosis (TB)-related and maternal, neonatal and child mortality and morbidity, plus the impact of communicable and non-communicable diseases (NCDs). This will be achieved by supporting the Government of Ethiopia’s Urban Health Extension Program (UHEP) through improving the quality of community–level health services, strengthening referral linkages, building the institutional and technical capacity of Regional Health Bureaus (RHBs) and promoting inter-sectoral collaboration and public-private partnerships (PPPs) to address unique urban health challenges. The objective of SEUHP is to strengthen the GoE’s UHEP by improving the quality, use and management of community-level urban health and related services.
SEUHP is seeking to hire highly qualified individual consultant who is experienced in organization of high level events. S/he will be based in Addis Ababa, and will report to the Conference organizers at JSI/SEUHP. This will be a short term consultancy work to be engaged based on deliverables.
Objectives of the Assignment
The objective of the assignment is to plan and organize a National Urban Health Conference (NUHC) in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH) which is expected to take place from March 23 to 24.
Scope of the assignment
The consultant will be responsible to undertake the following tasks:
I. Invitation of participants
· Clean up and consolidate the various lists of participants available in collaboration with FMOH and SEUHP Conference organizers
· Prepare invitation letters, seek approval of the invitation letters from SEUHP Conference organizers and ensure that letters of invitations have been delivered to the invitees
· Ensure that confirmations are done for all invitees by making phone calls and personal visits as needed
· Develop an E- card for inviting participants though emails
· Keep register of confirmations
II. Invitations of guest of honor, guest speakers, presenters ,reporters, master of ceremony , media and harmonization of presentations
· In collaboration with FMOH and SEUHP Conference organizers secure the guest of honor attendance
· Contact guest speakers, presenters and reporters to secure their attendance
· Coordinate their travel local movement if required and accommodation arrangement
· In collaboration with FMOH and SEUHP Conference organizers guide the presenters on the topic of presentation and follow up for actual presentation
III. Coordination of mini exhibition
· In collaboration with FMOH and SEUHP develop a list of targeted exhibitors in both goods and services
· Invite exhibitors
· Confirm the participation of all exhibitors to avoid disappointment
· Arrange at least two briefing meeting( walk trough) with exhibitors
· Initiate procurement of all the relevant services such as booth construction, video coverage etc..
IV. Communication & PR
· Collaborate with FMOH and SEUHP in development of speeches and newspaper supplement materials
· Ensure all relevant speeches for the newspaper are developed and availed ;This includes introductory remark, keynote addresses and presentations
· Ensure all the necessary press releases are prepared and availed for the media
· In collaboration with the media arrange press conference or media interview
· Work with photographer and video biographers to ensure event is recorded on video and photo.
V. Conference Venue arrangements
· Arrange and ensure all Meeting rooms (for plenary and break-out sessions) are arranged and ready for the Meetings as required (as per specified meetings’ schedule);
· Ensure all required audiovisual equipment is available in all the rooms as required;
· Arrange and manage participants’ registration on site and flow and movement of guests
· Prepare information packs such as programs/agendas, fact sheet, company profile etc…
· Design and make up name tags/badges for all participants, speakers, Media, VIPs, etc
· Coordination of venue preparation such as seating arrangement, banner preparation and set up, décor table and seats , pens and writing pads for participants etc…
· Identify and list all the purchase required in terms of gifts, bags, pens etc…
· Liaise with the hotel to ensure catering as well as service maintenance are promptly available as would be required for all equipment/services and facilities in and around the meeting rooms;
· Ensure purchases are done within the allocated budget
· Coordinate with master of ceremony
· Hold a pre even meeting at the event venue with organizing committee
VI. Other general logistical arrangements
· Planning and organization of all the meals, cocktails and other social events during the conference;
· Work with JSI/SEUHP finance to facilitate payment of per diem and transportation allowances to participants and personal drivers.
VII. Reporting format
· The Event Organizer will be expected to hold weekly meetings with the SEUHP Conference organizers to give status update of the preparation as well as address issues any other issues that may have a negative impact on the successful implementation of the event.
· Compile a final report of the event at the end of the activity.
The Event Coordinator is expected to deliver the following deliverables in English language to the conference organizers:
Action Plan (in consultation with NUHC)
To be submitted within three business days after signing the contract.
Event report and organized files
Within five business days after completion of the event
During the contract period, the coordinator will be provided with an office space at the SEUHP office and receive necessary support from the SEUHP’s operations unit. The coordinator will be contracted by the project in accordance with the JSI’s project procurement rules and regulations.