Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Context and Scope of the Position
Under the overall supervision of the IOM-SLO Addis Ababa Chief of Mission and Head of Programmes and direct supervision of the Migration Management Programme Coordinator and working closely with the Senior Programme Assistant -Capacity Building, the incumbent will support the Migration Management Unit in designing and implementing capacity building initiatives aimed at: upholding the rights of migrants as per the IOM mandate, combatting irregular migration, including human trafficking and smuggling, and promoting the rights of potential migrants in vulnerable communities of origin and transit within Ethiopia. In particular, he/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Assist the Senior Assistant, Capacity Building, in implementing, monitoring, reviewing and updating the Government of Ethiopia National Anti-TIP Plan of Action (PoA) and in meeting its objectives, through various capacity-building activities, to ensure effective management of migration in Ethiopia.
2. Support the implementation of capacity building components within each of MMU’s projects that focus on a range of migration management and related topics, including advocacy initiatives, design of new migration management/migrant protection systems, development of training materials and curricula, training sessions including trainings of trainers, development of SOPs for direct assistance, National Referral Mechanism etc.
3. Develop work plans for relevant projects and contribute to the overall planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of project activities, including bi-weekly reporting on the progress of project implementation; compiling quarterly/annual donor reports, keeping track of best practices and lessons learned, organizing project events such as sensitisation workshops, trainings, meetings, among others.
4. Support the implementation, monitoring and reporting of MMU’s capacity building activities, including the organization of policy dialogues and consultation meetings to ensure smooth dialogue among Government offices, CSOs, and private sector engaged in counter-trafficking and smuggling activities.
5. Coordinate with appropriate government bodies and build their capacity to pursue and improve human trafficking and smuggling prosecution initiatives.
6. Conduct trainings for Cross-Border Migration Committee (CBMC) members and Emergency Migration Response Centre (EMRC) focal points on key migrant protection issues, as well as identification, screening, assistance to and referral of Victims of Trafficking (VoTs), data collection and analysis, and linkages with other local service providers.
7. Assist in conducting assessments on the potential establishment of new EMRCs near exit points of the country and assess the capacity-building needs of existing EMRCs to optimize their service delivery.
8. Support liaison activities with governmental and non-governmental offices, regional authorities and other stakeholders as appropriate and aimed at promoting IOM’s projects and initiatives.
9. Undertake duty trips as necessary to facilitate project implementation.
10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
In addition, the incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Let Employers Find YouUpload/Update Your CV