SNV, Netherlands Development Organisation, has worked in Ethiopia since the 1970s and currently operates in SNNPR, Oromia, Amhara and Tigray regional states, providing capacity strengthening support in three sectors – Agriculture, WASH and Renewable Energy. Through its work in agriculture, SNV in Ethiopia supports the development of number of value chains such as milk and milk products, honey and bees wax, oil seeds and edible oil, fruit and pulses, livestock and horticulture. This takes a value chain development approach, with special focus on improving access to sustainable markets for smallholder farmers and by developing business-to-business relations and improving business development services.
SNV Ethiopia with other consortia members including CARE Ethiopia, ORDA, REST and Agri Service Ethiopia has started implementing Feed the Future: Livelihoods for Resilience Activity a 5-year USAID funded project in three regions, namely Amhara, SNNPR and Tigray in 27 woredas i.e. Ofla, Alamata, Enda Mehoni, Emba Alage, Hintalo Wojerat, Ganta Afeshum,Hawzen,Gulomekeda(Tigray);Guba Lafto, Habru, Raya Kobo, Meket, Wadla, Menz Mama, Menz Gera( Amhara);Misha, Lemu, Anlemu, soru, duna, Kochire, Wonago, Dilla Zuria, Aleta Wendo,Dara,Boricha, Chuko (SNNPR).
The goal/purpose of the Feed the Future: Livelihoods for Resilience Activity is to reduce food insecurity and increasing resilience for households (HHs) in highland areas of three regions (Amhara, Tigray and SNNPR) in rural Ethiopia. In particular, the purpose of the Livelihoods for Resilience Activity is to enable 97,900 chronically food insecure households to graduate from the PSNP with resilience. SNV is mainly responsible to take the lead role on value chains/market systems development through building the capacity of implementing partners, private sector and other stakeholders.
Thus, Livestock value chain Advisor will be member of the technical experts and take the following responsibilities to facilitate the value chain development with focus on apiculture, poultry and cattle fattening with implementing partners and other stakeholders.
1. Value chain Development Technical Support:
Lead the livestock value chain development activities including market development, market linkages, market intelligence and direct business development support for sustainable markets;
Facilitate livestock related business linkages among private sectors, cooperatives, unions and farmers groups that contribute to increasing the production, income and employment;
Work closely with partner organizations to identify and analyse livestock value chain and market system constraints and propose market based solutions to address these constraints;
Propose and implement business models for livestock value chain development with partners and share successes with other stakeholders
Provide technical support for implementing partners, private sector actors and other stakeholders through systematic coaching and mentoring approach
Facilitate the strengthening of livestock value chains by introducing and promoting new technologies, productivity improvement training's and engagement of private sector in the provision of embedded services;
Contribute to the implementation of value chain and market system studies, value chain training's and workshops,
Support the annual reviews, midterm assessments and final evaluations and progress report preparations ;
Ensure that implementation of the project activities for livestock value chains
according to approved plans;
Ensure strong communication of value chain and agricultural marketing concepts and procedures with partners and other stakeholders with focus on livestock
Take other responsibilities within the projects that will help the team to achieve the desired results
1.2 Networking and collaboration:
Manage Livestock Multi stakeholder meetings’ preparation, documentation and facilitation and share the meeting proceedings with relevant stakeholders;
Ensure the Livestock Multi stakeholder platform meetings contribute in providing strategic guidance and in solving challenges in the input and output marketing system of smallholder farmers
Build and maintain strong networks with stakeholders and other projects and programs in the livestock sector
1.3 Knowledge development and learning
Participates in knowledge development/ expertise groups and in external and internal networks;
Identify, document and share interventions and practices on livestock value chain development through learning briefs and cases
Stay informed on trends and developments in the livestock sector and updates the team on latest trends; poses suggestions, shares idea and gives feedback related to livestock value chain.
1. Master’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field (Livestock development, Agri business, agricultural marketing, agricultural economics, and related fields);
2. Specialization in value chain development, preferably with experience in livestock sector(apiculture, poultry and cattle)
3. Sound knowledge of marketing of agricultural commodities and market systems analysis
4. Adequate experience in facilitating and supporting pro poor value chain development
5. Good experience in advisory and capacity building of smallholder farmers in livestock feed technologies and husbandry practices and in livestock markets,
6. Knowledge of local, national and international livestock trade systems and market linkages for the advantage of the poor in practice;
7. Familiar with livestock sector policies and national strategies, functioning of government/ public sector, private sector and farmers organizations;
8. Recognized expertise in working as an advisor and process facilitator to plan, implement and monitor input and output marketing strategies for livestock development ;
9. Good experience in facilitating stakeholder forums, business and market linkages, working with sectorial associations and strengthening of cooperatives;
10. Knowledge and experience with participatory techniques, coaching, networking, learning, alliance building and team building
11. Experience in the area of strategy development and partnership development
12. knowledge of gender, climate and nutrition concepts and mainstreaming in value chain selection and implementation;
13. Excellent project management and planning, analytical skills combined with a practical and pragmatic approach oriented towards lasting results;
14. Excellent oral and written communication skills
1. Minimum 8 to 10 years of relevant experiences working with value chains gained in private sector, or in a professional consultancy firm/reputable advisory organisation with an international outlook or NGO/GO development mainly in livestock sector and related fields
2. Broad experience in capacity building, facilitation of multi-stakeholder processes, farmer organization strengthen, organizational learning, change processes, and strategy formulation
3. Excellent analytical skills
4. Knowledge of (inter) national strategies for poverty alleviation and rural development and working with PSP households
5. Knowledge of SNV cross-cutting themes as governance, climate, gender equity and social inclusion
6. Pragmatic, good and patient negotiator and solution orientated approach
Skills: Team player with networking abilities, fluent in English (official working language of SNV) and local languages, good writing skillsOthers: Computer skills and ability to work in a challenging and dynamic context. Affinity with lead private sectors and their way of working.
How to Apply
Candidates should apply by sending:
i) A one page cover letter including summary of experience and educational qualification; (Mandatory).
ii) An updated Curriculum Vitae with names and contact details of at least two professional referees.
THE TITLE OF THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR MUST BE MENTIONED ON THE SUBJECT OF YOUR EMAIL.
Only applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send their application and CV through e-mail at email@example.com not later than 25th February 2017.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Let Employers Find YouUpload/Update Your CV